OSWESTRY BORDERLAND HERITAGE
Visitors: 25456

Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Consultant David Higman MBE
Charity Reg. No. 1139072
Company Reg. No. 6905623

Pear Tree Quarry








1901 map showing Pear Tree Quarry with the Cambrian Railways tracks leaving the Quarry together with the start of the Crickheath Tramway. At some time it was proposed that the lease of the quarry to be made over to T.& J.Savin.






1934 photo of Pear Tree Quarry workings showing the Crickheath tramway crossing the main guage tracks. This quarry was the original quarry that the Crickheath tramway served and travelled to the Crickheath Wharf on the Montgomery Canal. One of the two cottages built on the wharf is named Pear Tree Cottage. Note the bank of Kilns to the left of the picture, these would have been very early kilns, built prior to the Cambrian Railway being built.

Photo of the end of the bank of Lime Kilns in Pear Tree Quarry. This is at the far end of the shed in the above photo from 1934.

Source Dale Williams.

Photo of the lime kiln which is the first kiln in the 1934 photo.

Source Dale Williams.

Close up shot of the same lime kiln showing the stack of bags of lime still in their hessian sacks which had been placed at the mouth of the entrance to the kiln. These have since solidified..

Source Dale Williams.

Sad photo of the bank of six Cupolas in the 1960's derelict. at the end of Pear Tree Quarry leading towards Whitehaven.

Source Ken Owen

Close-up photo of the derelict Cupolas.

Source Ken Owen

Excellent photo believed to be 1900 showing Pear Tree Quarry with the woodyard in the front of it.


Source Ken Owen

1901 map showing the woodyard in the bottom centre with the buildings shown on the above photo.

Source Ken Owen

Good photo of the quarry buildings around the chimney in Pear Tree Quarry. In the centre of the photo is the railway signal box and to the left is the track going under the long incline and into Pear Tree Quarry and alongside the limekilns with the round shaped roof. The buildings to the right of the photo appear to be possibly a crusher with an elevator leading into it from the quarry. The purpose of the chimney has not been established at present. Date of photo unknown.

Source Stuart Brooks.

An excellent photo of Porthywaen showing the track layout leading into Pear Tree Quarry. The main quarry line went to the right of the signal box and then turned right under the incline as shown in the above photo.

Interesting photo of a train at Porthywaen Halt with the quarry buildings in the background. Note the gradient post next to the gate post. The remains of this are still in the ground today(2017) and will be replaced in the future.

Source Welsh Industrial and Maritime Museum.

Large heavy metal end plate found in undergrowth recently near to the chimney in Pear Tree Quarry. Anyone know what it is and where it would have been located..

Source Dale Williams.

© 2017 Oswestry Borderland Heritage |  Website by NashLabs |  Hosted by Weboriel