Dyffryn Tanat and Region Development Trust
Chairman Kenton Owen QGM
Company Reg. No. 6905623
1930-40: The Red Lion building (opposite the pub and now a garage) was in use as a skittle alley.
1920-40: A shoe repairer called Tom Graffton lived at Sycamore Cottage just under the railway bridge which leads into the quarry
1933: Mr Len Evans and Mr Douglas Lloyd started meeting together to play musical instruments; this later developed into a band
1934: Porthywaen Band formed
1951: Porthywaen football team was formed by Mr Jack Evans. The team played in the Shropshire League; their playing field was behind the Red Lion Garage at Porthywaen. The team ceased playing around 1951.
1958: A decision was taken to build a hall suitable for the Porthywaen Band and for public functions. The band had played in building in the quarry called the Blue Shed and at some time played at the butchers.
1958: Mr J. Casewell offered a site for a band hall.
1964: Porthywaen Band hall was officially opened on the 10th April.
The Weigh Bridge opposite the Band Hall in Porthywaen village was known as The Wharf.
The Toll House now known as the Gate House stands at the top end of the village at the road junction with Blodwel Bank. Opposite the Gate House at he entrance to Hanson's Quarry is a cottage believed at one time to have been a pub called the Compass.
1902 map showing the Porthywaen area.
Early 1900 photo showing Porthywaen shop which was run by Alfred Barrett Lewis from 1880 to 1895 when the business was taken over by Albert Barrett Lewis, probably one of the men standing outside the shop on the left. He occupied the business until the late 1920's when it became known as A.B.Lewis & Co Grocers. Bread was collected from Tudors of Morda who made deliveries by horse. During the 1950/60's a Mr W Jones turned the shop into a butchers Nearby were two pubs called The Sun and The Ivy
Nice photo of the Sun Inn, Porthywaen probably dated early 1900's. Latest owner of the house states that the cellars have been filled in many years ago.
Source Liz Couchman
Photo taken recently of the former Sun Inn (Feb 2016)
Source Ken Owen
1927 photo of Porthywaen village showing the lime kilns in full working order producing a lot of smoke across the valley.
View of the quarry buildings at Porthywaen. Picture taken from the main road.
Source Stuart Brooks.
.The Red Lion pub in the 1950's as depicted on the business card of the Licencee at that time, Wendy Williams. Note the building to the right of the pub which would have been used to stable horses but has since been demolished and the site is now the pub car park.
Photo in 1926 of the aftermath of a crash on the Porthywaen railway crossing between a goods train and a steam lorry. Both occupants of the lorry sustained relatively minor injuries apart from scalding from the steam lorry.
1966 photo of a loaded goods train carrying granite chippings from Llanddu quarry towards Llynclys, crossing the A495 . Note the clear views unlike today where the view is restricted by large conifer trees.
Another fine photo of a goods train crossing Porthywaen crossing towards Llynclys. Unlike today, the fireman jumps down from the engine to stop the traffic before the train crosses. Nice lorry waiting.
Source Ken Owen
Goods train coming out of Pear Tree Quarry. Good view of the signal box with the Pway hut in the distance behind the signal box. Date believed to be 1949.
Source Ken Owen
Rear view of Porthywaen School taken from the railway line. The building is now a private dwelling. (December 2013) Source Ken Owen.
Side view of the former school house. Source Ken Owen.
Porthywaen Band 1934.
Len Evans ,Doug Lloyd, Doug Davies ,Ceral Gilham, G Malthouse, Dicky James, John Morris (Horseshoe ) Bil Mathews ,Joe Edwards.
Frank Lloyd , Art Evans(Pant) ,Arthur Davies ,Reg Pugh, Sid Pugh (Sen) ,Charlie Rowlands Jordon.
Bill Belson, Frank Lewis Jack Jones, Gordon Rogers Dick Roberts.
Source Mr H.Evans
Photograph of Mr Len Evans founder of the Porthywaen Band in 1933
Source Mr H Evans.
Photograph taken between 1964-1969.
Early photo of Porthywaen Band members, date unknown.
Bottom right Jack Lloyd (Trombone), Behind him brother Frank Lloyd
Middle back younger brother Douglas Lloyd, Top right Bob Gillam.
Source Mr.R..Lloyd (Son of Jack Lloyd).
1934 photo of Porthywaen Silver Band.
Former Toll house which would have had gates across the road on either side of the building.
Source Ken Owen.
Cottage opposite the toll house which at one time was a pub called The Compass. According to the latest owner the stage coaches used to stop at the Toll House to pay their dues, and the occupants of the coach would partake of liquid refreshment at the pub before carrying on their journey to Birmingham.
Source Ken Owen.
Article taken from the Border Counties Advertizer, dated the 24th May 1905 showing a David Jones 60 years, living at the Compass and working at the Nantmawr Quarry as a roc kman.